Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Baker's Wheel

Sometimes I feel like a cake on a baker's wheel,
Turning slowly around, waiting to complete its final turn.
The icing is velvety smooth and must be carefully applied,
That it is neither too thin nor too thick.

For this sweetness is but a mere introduction to the layers beneath,
Rich and full of their own complexities.
Each imperfection artfully smoothed by a soft fruit filling,
Both sweet and tart, it is the perfect balance.

So I turn upon my baker's wheel, my slowly spinning maker's wheel.
I know my final turn shall come to pass some day.
The wheel will stop spinning, the layers of life complete,
No icing left to apply.

Just knowing each ingredient added was simply layered with love.
Measured in laughter, a sprinkle of tears, but in the end,
a good recipe shared.


(c)Donna Kalinski

1 comment:

  1. Each time I read this I want to have a
    jelly donut, a good cup of coffee, and
    my best friend to talk about...life.

    ReplyDelete