Friday, February 26, 2010

We Are Woman

I will rejoice
For being born
Woman,
And though within each blessing
Lives a dark-cloud curse,
I will cling to this silver lining,
And celebrate who I am --
Who we are --
As women.

I am tied to the tides,
I swoon with the moon
And my body counts off the days
Of her cycle
As her phases number mine.
We are sisters, she and I,
Daughters of the same Father,
Twins of the same womb,
And we both shine
Reflecting the light of the Son.

I am the entrance into this world.
No one arrives here but through my blood,
And seldom depart
Without my tears.

Love is language
And I am multilingual.
My tongue caresses the ears
Of every man, woman, and child
As my compassion
Becomes voice,
Becomes action.
I am your mother/daughter/sister/wife
And I am life,
Love made flesh
And tenderness made tangible.

We are all around you,
Mysterious and real
Sacred and ordinary,
And     we     are     wonderful!

We are Woman.


(c)Jerri Hardesty          2010

1 comment:

  1. Jerri Hardesty is an active member of the Poetry Society of Virginia, currently residing in Alabama.

    ReplyDelete