Friday, December 31, 2010

The Unraveling

The point of the needle
enters the cloth
pops out again
moving the silver metal
pulling the thread
binding seam to seam
shoulder to shoulder
bodice to skirt
than down the sides
front to back.
and finally
with delicate motion
it forms a hem.
All done, finished, complete
until something grows,
or something shrinks.
There is a feeling
of unraveling
and it is all gone.

The point of the needle
is forced to begin again.


(c)Doris Gwaltney                         2008
from The Poet's Domain, Vol 23
Live Wire Press, Charlottesville, VA

2 comments:

  1. This poem seemed to me to best express this last look at Woman, in all her aspects, as seen through her own and others'eyes. The same for this project blog site. The needle pulls it all together while it is already beginning to fray. Time is running down as each as I type each selected entry into its place. I thank each and every poet who submitted poems for this project, and those who so generously allowed me access and permission to publish their poems from various publications. This is not just my project blog, but yours - all and each of you. Thank you for sharing all of this with me. :) pf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Pete. As I was reading this, I felt kind of sad that the project you involved us in had come to a close; after finishing, I thought: how appropriate.

    A fine poem, Doris.

    And, Pete, thank you for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete