Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Last Love Poem for the Love of My Life

When we would lay
like we used to lay
your cheek would rest over my eye perfectly
matched
like we were once Siamese twins in a womb
our heads molded to one another

Shockingly the most important thing I learned from you
is not related to love or marriage
It is not emotional
because smoking is a habit
not an emotional response

If you let the cellophane slide through your
forefinger and thumb as you hit your
palm, just so
You'll hear a smack
like the tobacco is
screeching its last breath
If you do this six or seven times
turning the pack in your hand each stroke
the paper will form a dust ruffle around the tip
It burns right off
but you won't lose your cherry when driving

You taught me how to pack my cigarettes
and our sleeping cheek filled
my eye socket
That is all I remember about our intimacy
That is all I remember about the love I had for you


(c)Cheryl Snow White     2007
from snow white lies

No comments:

Post a Comment