Monday, June 21, 2010

She Makes Me A Man

She makes me a man
with a turn of her head, the toss of her hair,
the touch of her hand.
While she smiles and hides her true feelings.
She makes me a Man
when I hear her good news, how her day has gone bad
all the intimate details.
I listen and wonder how this could still happen to me.
Like when we lie together in light.
If I could pick the words of this poem off the page
and place them into my mouth
they would be soft, sticky and sweet,
like she becomes when we reach that place
where I make her a woman,
shaking and screaming at last.
When she stays with me throughout the day.
I remember why I believe
in the power of one single thing
indifferent to the whims of the world, beliefs and opinions.
she makes me a Man sitting right where we are on the floor
with purely a simple embrace.


(c)Gregg Libbey
published in Skipping Stones 2004
Mindworm Press, Chesapeake, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment