Saturday, June 12, 2010

silent space

words stumble over each other
like children learning to ride a two-wheeler
as we struggle for conversation without confrontation
my heart feels bruised and scarred
we've collided before cold air and hot air
crashing into thunder
angry words tossed about
branches swirling in stormy winds
our hearts split into wedges
trees struck by lightning
when my sexuality took issue
against her religion
from across telephone lines
we stand my eyes scan my living room
searching for a word any word
to place into the silent space
that sits between my sister and me
although we live in the same town
she's never seen my apartment
or any of the furniture i now own
the only words that come to my lips
are used to describe my new bookcase
how beautiful are the brass knobs glass doors
and the mahogany stained wood frame


(c)debbie lass     2003
from gaily forward
Keith Enterprises, Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment