Thursday, July 29, 2010

Kissing

Greeting me after my nap
she crawled across our bed
but came up short of my lips
frustrated by stiff joints.
Aging holds her more tightly than I can.
We are the same in years,
but she's spent much more time in offices.

We are not the same in temperament.
Optimism and pessimism mingle styles;
frugality and generosity bump and turn into each other.

We focus our intellects disparately
and manifest physicality in different ways.
Our driving styles are dissimilar to say the least.
I'm intensely aroused by some political issues,
but she claims very little interest.

I've taught her something about a fair fight,
and she's taught me to bicker quietly (some of the time).
She can multitask,
but I routinely can hold contrary ideas in mind.
She can do the personal parallel of that
as she's dealt with notably loopy me
as her husband for almost a quarter century.

Arching my neck I met her lips,
and knew us blessed
not by serenity,
not by union of vision,
but by reciprocal respect
that in ignition means love.


(c)W.W. Yoder, III     2008

No comments:

Post a Comment