Friday, July 23, 2010

The River

T'is the place where he took your mother
When he was your age,
Where he smiled your same Cheshire grin
At her bright mouth, blooming
Into a miracle
Before his very eyes.
And when I see it
I know why she loved him.
And it is a miracle, I think,
As you hold out your slender hand
And ask me to
Follow you over the perilous bridge,
The decaying planks no one
Dares to walk on.

The river pulses
Beneath us
Writhing with hiccups
Tongues
Licking at the rocks.
It is such a surprise,
The murky ribbon
Nestled between shores
How it ripples and
Caresses us,
Our
Innocent white feet
Trembling naked in the water,
How it begs for more.
How I do, when you expose

The October reds and oranges
That have broken out like an
Uncontrollable
Rash.
How we want to
Scratch each other when we see
All of it--
The rushing fluid and the sunny rocks
Where you take
My picture as I leave everything
Unbuttoned,
Flat on my back
My eyes lost somewhere
Near.

And you climb out
Too far for me
Over the massive knot
Of twigs and plastic the current has
Swallowed.
But I take the moment
In my mouth anyway.
And you come
So close
To being
Wet,
But we roll up our pants
And wade through it.


(c)Corey Nixon
published in Skipping Stones 2005
Mindworm Press, Chesapeake, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment