Monday, December 14, 2009

Nurse Lynn

Quietly, softly, she slips into my room
like a sweet, lovable burglar.
She needn't be worried about
disturbing my rest.

My simple awareness
of her presence
is more calming,
much more restful
than any sleep,
as I recuperate
from open-heart surgery
and a double-barreled bypass.

Certainly, the other nurses,
Jennie, Benny, Caroline,
all of them are caring,
competent, professional;
but Lynn exceeds expectations.

This sneak-thief steals admiration,
always calling me sweet names,
making me feel more like a lover
than just another patient.

I knew she did the same things
for all the patients in her care,
but that did not matter.
I anticipated her forays
like a thirsty household plant
awaiting a watering.

(c)Bill Carroll 12/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment