Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Femininity Cannot Be Lawed

Femininity cannot be lawed,
Nor womanliness voted out of fact.
I would remain a woman, flesh and mind,
Were I to wield a hammer, wrench, or hoe.
The skies would smile and breeze the plane no less
Were I to man the levers and controls;
Yet life could reach a height as deeply felt
As exaltation sweeping a proud father
When he sits down to rock his new-formed child.
I could see myself, still soft with wonder,
Using a welder's torch, or hauling nets;
Or, with a love for all live things, life-risking
To save a burning home and those within.

But I could never see myself in arms,
Tigress tense, prepared to take my toll.
Never!
     Recalling emptied mother arms,
Long centuries and countless banners old,
In empathy I would refuse to go.


(c)Shirley Nesbit Sellers                    2005
published in The Poet's Domain, vol 22
Live Wire Press, Charlottesville, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment