Friday, October 15, 2010

Take a Look at Your Life

When I was in my forties, a beautiful woman
of 24 fell in love with me.
We worked together and got to know
each other's ways.
She could have had any guy around.
I was married, with three kids
so I don't know why she picked on me

Over a cup of coffee, one morning,
she asked if we could be lovers.
Things weren't going so well at home,
and God, she was gorgeous
but I said no

Later, I thought it over and approached her.
If the offer is still on I say yes,
and so, yes, we became lovers.
Yes, it was like nothing I'd ever known before.
They were writing
good love songs in those days
and I felt like I knew them
from the inside out

I thought our joy would fill the earth
and last til the end of time

We'd meet at her place,
smoke grass, listen to Roberta Flack
and glorify life

One day, she said we should spend
the rest of our lives together.
I said, Look, Ellie, I'm an old man
and you are just starting your life.
She took me in her arms
and made me young once more.

The next day she brought a record
by Neil Young and read the lyrics

Old man, take a look at my life
I'm a lot like you are

She said, I've been thinking,
we have thirty years.  That's all I want.
I said no one more time
and didn't come back.
She went on her way

Twenty-four and there's so much more

this afternoon I was driving into Norfolk
and turned the radio on.
The jazz station playing a piano version
of that old Neil Young song.
God, I almost had a wreck.
Been over thirty years.
I'm in my seventies now and take a look at my life.
It's been a good one.
Those few months with her hang 'round

forever young


(c)Robert E. Young                              2005
published in  The Poet's Domain, vol 22
Live Wire Press, Charlottesville, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment