Sunday, October 17, 2010

Lament of Charmian

In Rome my mistress was mistook
And never a harlot was.  Married
               to Caesar, what cared we that he
            had a wife in his foreign
       barbarous land, a ritual we did not know,
Great Isis blessed us here.

Then Caesar died, and Antony came,
My lady was not beautiful,
From an Alexandrine line
               The nose too figured.
              And much too fair.  But my papers,
               my curls, made her--
Blackened, braided, lacquered
          Golds, purples . . . ah my craft

--what she was
               fit for Queendom.  She ruled, but
so did I. . . . We died together
              by that good omen.
       The work of twenty dynasties to bring her
               to that perfection.
               And together we
Made a story for all time.


Myreen Nicholson                   2005
published in The Poet's Domain, vol 22
Live Wire Press, Charlottesville, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment