Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I Rejoice in Being What I Am

How long did it take me to rejoice
in being what I am?  For twenty-two
years, I'd been looking, searching
for that elusive being who
I felt was there, but I couldn't
quite get a hold of it--or them.
I tried when my children were in school,
I hid it in dresser drawers, beneath
bras, slips, and panty hose.  When
they were gone, when housework
almost got me down, I'd take it out,
scrutinize it, and put it back, gently.
Now, there is no need for that;
My time is in my hands alone.
I can sit, dream, and write
to my heart's content.  I have
found wheat I looked for:
I Rejoice In Being What I Am.


(c)Marvel N. Mustard                    2005
published in The Poet's Domain, Vol 22
Live Wire Press, Charlottesville, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment