Wednesday, March 31, 2010

In This Garden Tonight...

Promises are best made by moonlight,
Especially hand-in-hand,
Especially in this garden tonight,
Lovely tonight,
We hope for new beginnings on the new moon,
Do we dare whisper promises?
Gazing at the moon like two who believe,
The slender, sharp edged new moon,
A silver dagger piercing the curtain of velvet sky,
And shining bright beside the moon,
Her companion, Venus,
A Goddess who can grant or ignore wishes,
By those who wish upon a star,
Those desperate to find true love,
Or even those desperate to escape the pain,
I am not the Goddess of love,
You have only mistaken me for her,
On a night when I wore white robes and gold sandals,
Because you wanted someone to worship,
I am only flesh, all mortal, tied to earth,
Will you love me more truly than worship me?
Whisper to me what you have wished upon a star,
Do you dare promise me a future?
Does the moon make us believe?
Or is this all a mirage?
Then the silver dagger moon cuts me,
And it hurts because I don't believe anymore,
I don't believe a lot of things anymore,
When reality dethrones me as Goddess,
When this romantic delusion fades,
Even then, will I be of all others the most enchanting?
I wished upon a star that love never dies,
Do you believe?


(c)Dona M. Saprisiti
from Skipping Stones 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment