Saturday, August 28, 2010

forgiveness

healing wounds my sister came to me
walked up greeting me with a hug
i can't remember the last time
that she approached me first
her phone message said her daughter's in town
we're having a cookout so come i hope you can come
the voice i heard wasn't immediately recognizable to me
something had changed in her voice
i know that i have changed
months and months ago i prayed for her to forgive me
and for me to forgive her
i prayed for 40 days and nothing happened
months passed and i chose to ask for a favor
yes she said she could try nothing happened
weeks passed and then the phone call
i went to her expecting nothing
tension we'd fed and watered for years
seemingly suddenly lifted
i smiled she smiled
i do not expect her acceptance of me or a friendship with her
but i did get a healing what i got was forgiveness
that she approached me first


(c)debbie lass          2003
from gaily forward
a journey towards healing



No comments:

Post a Comment