Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Flight

Lifting out of the heaviness of a day,
     I fling myself aloft and stretch
              my limbs like the cross-

sticks of a kite.  Sailing weightless,
     riding the wind's back,
               I don't have to flip-flap

like the mechanical crow.
     I prefer the easy arcs of the gull,
             its glide and sweep.

Below, neighbors gather in the street.
     A dog circles the lawn, yapping.
               I know I'm riding

out a scene, archetypal,
     old as myth.  My analyst
               would point to griefs

to bring me down:  the death
     of my daughter, the death
             of the life I meant to live.

Yet in dream after dream--
     What bliss!--my mind cleansed
             of past and future, I rise above

rooftops, the diminishing world
     speechless, staring up at me,
             eyes brimming with love.


(c)Jane Ellen Glasser          2007
published in Skipping Stones 2007
Mindworm Press, Chesapeake, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment