Thursday, August 26, 2010

Night Feeding

Our son cries from the other room,
& it is this sound that wakes me,
                                           wakes us both

Because we share in caring for him, I ask,
                                          Isn't it your turn?

His voice, new, loosens another foot of string,
a kite floating in the night sky.

So serious, you whisper,
                                     Just give me another second,

then lay your head back.

I find him sitting up, his hands gripping the crib,
his voice suddenly gone when

I pull him to my chest, & we return
to you, asleep, your breasts full
                                                          of dreams.


(c)Jon Pineda     2004
from Birthmark
Southern Illinois University Press
Carbondale, Il



No comments:

Post a Comment