Monday, August 23, 2010

Zone One Single

Is the ticket they sell you
to ride the London Subway (Tube)
when you're staying close to town,
not venturing out too far afield
then coming home a different way,
not sure where you're headed next,
no need for a Return.
"It's so expensive!" I complain
but my friend Sal, who has always been
a much more savvy traveler than I, says
"There's ways around it."
"Legal ways?"
"Just ways.  I always ride way past
Zone One, and never pay full fare.
If you like, I'll show you how."

And to tell you the truth I think about it,
as the train flashes past and I'm caught
in the warm blast of the dark tunnel breeze,
but in the end I decide to play by the Tube rules.
So I wait my turn patiently at Lancaster Gate
for the couple in front of me to buy their Returns,
and when the ticket vendor asks me,
"Zone One Single, Luv?"
I say, "Yes, very single,"
and use the ticket I was given
which means I'm free to head out,
not sure exactly where,
and I'll stay in bounds--
but I don't have to come back.
And if I do, I know I'll have to pay.


(c)M. Lee Alexander     2007
from Observatory
Finishing Line Press, Georgetown, KY

No comments:

Post a Comment