Friday, April 30, 2010

Bi-Coastal Break-Up

Alfred Stiegliyz once
kissed another girl
in front of Georgia O'Keefe.

She had just walked into his studio
on a trip back to New York
only to find him lip-locked.

She blew him a kiss
gave him the finger and
walked out calmly,
poised like a ballerina.

Georgia
was not the kind of woman
to cause a scene.

She flew home to New Mexico
gathered all the photographs he had taken of her,
put them inside a clean, white envelop,
and mailed them back across the country with a note:

Alfred darling,
this is the only me you can have.
The desert is full of bones
and I plan to stay here.
My empty rib cage feels more open now
against the vast blue sky.
Your lens was never big enough
to catch me anyway.
You should hve known
that I could not exist in
black and white alone.


(c)Cheryl Snow White     2010
from Snow White Lies

No comments:

Post a Comment