Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ut pictura poesis

for MRC


My mind's camera will dwell to keep
Images of moments so easy to share:
Your smile ethereal as grace,
Sparkling eyes like moonlight on the Gulf,
The soft topography of breasts,
Warm lips assimilating mine,
The strong sculptural curve of your back
Melting beneath my kisses,
As April snow beneath swelling sun.
All this for nothing,
Nemo, 
Me.
As if some better symbiant
Borrowing my lapsed body,
Spoke perfect syllables in an unknown tongue.
Why did I ask about your magic hair?
Words too honest and tender for my ragged mind.
What foolish prattle will next be uttered,
When my charmer has left me
And the real self sputters,
A motor without a spark?

Only now,
Without a claw to rip the fabric of the night,
Might I search for a fortress of eternity
To protect my livid newborn hope.
Instead just here I lie,
Letting you wrap me into a nest of minutes,
Unbroken and unstained.

Failure, exile thee to a distant land!
For if you return with armies of despair,
I will die laughing with remembrance
Under your sullied blade.


(c)James F. Gaines          2010

No comments:

Post a Comment