Thursday, April 29, 2010

Last Dance

Let me at least sit back up
for this one, knocking the atoms
of the coffin awry, de-connecting
a collar bone, dropping a hip,
tossing wrist to sky and slipping
clean through this old costume
I've sorely outgrown.  Let me
learn the steps as I go--
no flesh to fool us, no panting
and moaning, no words between--
just the beat, without the bloody heart.
Grab me by the gleam this time,
the silver swing of soul unhinged
and baby, blast: blast through
gravity, tear up time, nuke
this dull earthly dish
Let me shine and rise
Let me ride the blue-gold pulse
of the universe divine
Beam me up, bounce me out
Warp me in, swing me through
Anything but dark
Anywhere but down
neutrons humming loose
protons sparking apart
electrons ringing
something new
High and light
Shimmer and flow
Sing it loud now
Pulse it on out
Oh sweet black honey
eternity on your hands
you done, finally,
this time
got it
all
so right.


(c)Vivian Teter          2007
from Edge by Edge
Toadlily Press, Chappaqua, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment