Sunday, April 25, 2010

For the Wintered Bee

In my mind she rose from nightmare songs of the carnivorous
birds of spring; rather, it was the quickening sun of a newborn
faith.

She was a mad scout from a city asleep, testing the pane
between herself and a triumphant waggle over fragile white
blooms.

I pried the sash open to admit the bewildered Lazarus bee;
but the shamrock on the sill was neglected and root-bound
like me:  soon she'd find it yielded comfort less than her
enduring sleep.

How unkind I thought it must be to find so little of a past
in her post-resurrection world--no clover honey, no swarming
hive.

So for her I would bring yellows--vibrant daffodils--from beds
more reliable than my own; we would share droplets of honey
and sweet green tea; and in her gratitude, she could never ever
sting.

But she too was laden without a queen, and me, I was just a man,
a different kind:  soon she'd come undone by my failure to re-enact
her tribal dance.

It was only in her last second days that she found too much want
in an Australian shiraz, and perished into a bottle left carelessly
unfinished.

Oh, but didn't she live; wasn't she loved!  Surely none would tell me
it was all without a purpose.


(c)Allen M. Weber
published in Skipping Stones 2007
Mindworm Press, Chesapeake, VA

1 comment:

  1. However unusual, I have posted this poem because on so many levels it expresses a host of different ways we men see woman and the world: soft, strong, vulnerable, nurturing, gentle, threatening. This poem borders on expressing the sacred.
    pf

    ReplyDelete