Monday, April 5, 2010

A Confession

"I dare no longer stay!"

Forgive me, Friar Lawrence,
You're not the well-intentioned,
vacillating failure
I've always taught,
A weak man leaving Juliet in the tomb to die.

Like you, I would have stayed through the night
But I didn't.
"Will he survive?"  I asked the ER doctor on the evening shift,
Her military about-face gave me hope.
"I don't know."
George turned to me from his gurney,
Resolute, stubborn.
This was his own journey;
No tears need christen it.
He knew its end.

Finally, I looked at my watch.
"Well,
I've got to get home, walk the dog,
And get ready for tomorrow."

Friar Lawrence,
My exit wasn't scripted.
Why didn't I know
He'd die the next day?
before the vernal equinox.


(c)Christy Lumm               2008
published in Skipping Stones, Vol VI

No comments:

Post a Comment