Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Ghost

Come to tea and talk with me
Talk of days gone by...
I need to recall the past we shared
Was it sweet and dear as I remember?
Now the days close in around me
And nights are lonely.
Grasp the memories and hold on.
So quickly they pass by as a kaleidoscope,
Mixing and stirring, reflecting.
If a song would help, I'll sing
No guarantee of return
To semblance of what has been.

Please, don't leave yet...a moment more.
We are together and I feel your warmth,
Your touch so gentle and I know you are near.
Have another cup of tea, my dear,
Stay close so I can hear your voice.
Tell of our times of joy, none of sadness,
not now.  I need the peace of your company.
The pleasantness, just knowing you came
To sit with me on my birthday.
We really should have some cake
But, no matter, we don't have to partake
Night is coming and we should go.


(c)Beverley Isaksen          2007
from I'm Not Leaving Yet

No comments:

Post a Comment