Thursday, April 8, 2010

Dancing with Angela

I think I met her in France
or maybe it was Virginia...
We danced at some school event
but I don't think it was the prom.
I smelled perfume on her neck
as we danced and sweated together.
I remember she wore glasses and had brown hair.
And her eyes were brown too
as she looked at me somewhat bewildered.
Who were we anyway?
I knew we weren't surfers.
We were miles away from the sea.
"Little surfer, little girl..."
Make my heart unwhirl like the years
and all the dances lost in time
along with old songs and movies
I saw many years after the prom.
Like Fred and Ginger in Top Hat
or Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain.
They're all gone and so is Anagela
hopefully not to the final resting place
where all the old movie stars go.
But soon enough we'll be there too,
even though that was our only dance,
she with her brown eyes and perfume
and me with an open book.


(c)Joseph Lewis              2008
published in Skipping Stones, Vol VI

No comments:

Post a Comment