Wednesday, September 1, 2010

a segment from Chapter Nine: Sir Francis Drake

Note:  this passage from Chapter 9 of Ed's book focuses upon a young Robert Fuller, who has sailed with Sir Francis Drake, now invited to visit his ship, GOLDEN HINDE, in port at Deptford, England 

...
The gangplank guard sent word for Drake to come,
a large and noisy crowd approached the ship.
As Drake emerged I marveled at the sight:
his dark green blouse and pantaloons were silk;
his stockings matched, with leather buckled shoes.
A starched white collar set the outfit off;
his reddish beard and dark brown hair were trimmed.
This farmer's son was ready for his Queen!

The royal carriage stopped abreast the plank;
the mounted entourage was close behind.
A throng of curious townfolk filled the street;
excitement Deptford docks had seldom seen.
The Queen, arrayed in green (much like Drake's garb),
appeared to float to where the gangplank was.
She strode across the plank and stepped aboard;
Drake met her, bowing low, "Bienvenu."

As introductions followed, noise increased;
the onlookers were streaming on the plank,
but once the royal party was aboard
the guard refused admittance to the ship.
The milling crowd soon overfilled the plank;
collapsing, it threw scores of startled folks
into the tarry mud twelve feet below:
A comic opera scene to mark the day!

The Queen then glided on across the deck:
a gold and purple 'thing' fell from her clothes.
The Frenchman with her deftly picked it up;
he said, "Madame, your garter, I believe."
In front of all, she put it on and said,
"How kind of you, Monsieur de Marchaumont,
when I'm quite through with it, it will be yours!"
She slyly smiled, he bowed, and Drake just blushed.

...as the party dines, Fuller is in attendance at the meal, though not privileged to partake...

With dinner done, the Queen spoke a command;
"Now Francis Drake, before me come and kneel!"
Drake solemnly knelt down and bowed his head.
A courtier produced a gilded sword.
"For piracy I should dislodge your head!"
Her words called for response, and Drake replied:
"If that should be your wish, my head is yours."
"Well spoken, sir.  Monsieur, a favor please."

Her nod to the Ambassador from France
brought him to her; she handed him the sword.
He turned to Drake, but spoke for all to hear:
"By order of Elizabeth, your Queen,
you are now, and forevermore, a knight."
The sword touched Drake's right shoulder.  It was done!
Applause and cheers ensued; the Queen then said:
"Arise and greet your Queen, Sir Francis Drake."

As they filed out Sir Francis beckoned me;
"Your Majesty, may I present this lad
from Devon, Robert Fuller is his name."
I stammered, Ma'am my honor meeting you.
I think my awkward bow amused Her Grace.
"But Francis, one this young you take to sea?"
"At seventeen, he's been around the world;
I'd trust him with my life; in fact, I have!"

The Queen then turned her gaze on me and smiled,
"Strong words of praise to come from Francis Drake."
Her voice was more a mother's than a queen's.
"I know the hardships all of you endured,
you served your Queen and country very well."

...


(c)Edward W. Lull                    2003
from Cabin Boy to Captain, A Sea Story
Morris Publishing, Kearney, NE






No comments:

Post a Comment