Thursday, September 23, 2010

9.5 on the Richter Scale

He curled
opposite-ended from me
his head to the foot board
his body on top of the covers
mine tucked below
and we became the San Andreas Fault
the re-enactment of an earthquake
forms that had just touched
accidentally beautiful
tragically timed

Left with the perilous topography
of a queen-sized bed
and our natural tendencies to avoid embrace
our mutual denial of anything that could be stable
upright everlasting or secure

We avoided the center as if it had become the Grand Canyon
I almost whispered feelings aloud
knowing that the echoes would reach him
because my arm span can only conquer single beds
But I feared sound could
reawaken the ground
knocking Richter to his knees
and my fragile heart into the river rapids of sheets that
separated my skeleton from his exposed brick facade

I had never seen him as vulnerable as then
Legs pulled to his chest, fetal position
as if crouching below his desk at school
like they taught him to do in case of an emergency

I wanted to spoon him--hold him
like he had always wished someone would

But I do not know his wishes
and I have saved all my sudden movements
to get me out the door
before alarm clocks and aftershocks
threaten my internal structural system

Sadly, I am not insured for earthquakes or
breakfast in bed


(c)cheryl snow white     2007
from snow white lies

No comments:

Post a Comment