Saturday, September 4, 2010

Around the Block

You come again, your chrome walker
click-clicking on the hardwood floor
before entering my sanctuary.
My stress is a wave just before breaking!
I churn in a sea of foam.
Will I surface to hear you ask
the same brain wearing question
answered four times
in the last twenty minutes,
the one that is forming on your lips,
even now?
                                             Yes, today is Monday!

I remember your soft brown hair
curling about your face,
hear the sound of your sweet voice,
the voice that alone could comfort.
God, if only I could give you new life;
                                             The contractions are unbearable!

I take a deep breath, offer the usual
afternoon walk, then roll you in your
shiny wheel chair, your worn green pillow
to your back, the oran ge, yellow, and brown lap robe
upon your knees.  We walk the same walk,
talk the same talk.  As we come to our driveway
you ask, "Who lives here?"
                                             Lord, we have come full circle
                                  around the block!


(c)Laniere Gresham                          2009
published in Skipping Stones, Vol VI
Mindworm Press, Chesapeake, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment