Thursday, September 2, 2010

Whispers of Change

Our sparse lawn is not manicured
My nails are broken and dirty
Purple flowers adorn the walkway
Window open to sounds of lawnmowers
Pushed by Green Thumb Services
While middles widen, hearts weaken.

Why does grass have to be cut two inches from the ground?
Devoid of dandelions that turn into magic puff balls
For children to send secret wishes to Fairy Godmothers.

I once blew my wish to heaven
Tiny white flakes are caught by an angel
Who grants me four wishes
But she wants my freedom.
I fool her by wishing it back
Then I spend the rest of my life
Behind a cluttered desk, inside a flourescent lit room
My eyes blink open in time to see they are my windows


(c)Carolyn Sanford                              
published in Skipping Stones 2007
Mindworm Press, Chesapeake, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment