Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Turning Time

My friends talk of recipes
and clothes, swirl ice in frosted
glasses, whisper of affairs.

Idle men are so divine,
they confide.  I pause, toss
it all off with a braceleted wrist,

and as easily as breathing slip
into thoughts of you; coaxing
me down winding paths,

resurrecting me like a vintage
champagne.  The improbability
bewildered me.

Such a feeling can only come
once.  It's the turning time,
my friends say, sipping

white wine spritzers.  Intoxicated,
I see you in everything, feel
the same flush of heat that passed

between us when I wrapped
myself around you, all too
ready, unbuttoned my blouse without

a care.  The beauty is,
you'll soon forget.


(c)Ann Shalaski               2007
from A World Made of Glass
San Francisco Bay Press, San Francisco, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment