Friday, September 24, 2010

Do I Really Know Who I Am?

So long I have wondered
Now I know - I am a misplaced person.
Things around me are dissonant and strange,
I seem to belong in another time, another century.
I cannot imagine how it happened...
Someone else's skin encloses me-
I dont think I can give it back.
All right, I will accept this body
But my mind is what
I really want to keep as me.
My ideals for this space I occupy
Stay with me, hopefully to nourish changes
And foster respect one for another.
Oh, I enjoy being who I am-
Born to play the part of a thorn.
My convictions cause a lot of laughter
And disagreement when I speak
Of how I wish we would present ourselves.
Ah well, this old body
May not last long enough
To see my young friends become misplaced, too.


(c)Beverley Isaksen     2007
from I'm Not Leaving Yet

No comments:

Post a Comment